Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Lumber Supplier: MegaCo Vs. Local Fellas


Gotta start a relationship with my lumber supplier. Question is: do I go with a Goliath like Lowes or an independent. My gut instinct is always the local family-run places, but I'd be a moron if I didn't check out what everyone has to offer. And since I'm using engineered lumber instead of dimensional lumber for most of the framing, the Building Dept wants to see manufacturers design calculations to prove that these new-fangled products will indeed hold my house up. Lowe's had a couple nice guys at the Prodesk but it had two drawbacks: 1. Lowe's doesn't offer any service that helps you select engineered structural members - "that's the architect's job" and they're right, but some lumber places do offer this as an in-house service (and I want to double-check my choices). 2. They have a cool third party service called AccurateEstimates.com that does a blueprint takeoff (exact materials list based on your blueprints), but this is an outside service and their engineered lumber has to be ordered special. Basically Lowe's would be a middleman, farming out services and engineered product knowledge to outside companies. I imagine this will change as the engineered lumber market grows. Tomorrow I'm going to a couple local places.

6 Comments:

Blogger ninercrew said...

hey... just so you know Home Depot offers those services you are looking for in a MEGA CO. I'm a manager in Ohio, and i'm pretty sure it's a nation wide program... check out the orange box and forget bLOWE'S.

9:27 PM  
Blogger jay said...

interesting. I did not know that. I'll check it out.

3:21 AM  
Blogger dollymixture said...

lalalallala like i care

3:38 AM  
Blogger ale said...

I say "support the little guy". as long as they treat you nice. politely.

http://thepurposedrivenblog.blogspot.com/

6:00 AM  
Blogger lilmisskris said...

i worked at lowes and let me tell you its a waste of time to go there. go to the little guy.
http://idontgetitlilmisskris.blogspot.com

12:59 PM  
Blogger Davenz said...

Amazing!

Regards

custom doors

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home